Monday, January 9, 2012

First week of 2012

Monday was the last day of vacation. I ran easy for 25 minutes and did p90x (back and arms). I finished the workout with 42 pull-ups. I also learned a new way to do it, corn row pull  up. You pull yourself up shift your body to the right, left, center, backward, forward, then down. Yea that's only one pull-up.

First day back to work for 2012 was Tuesday. I squeezed 3.2k in the morning. Some fast 25s and descending 400s pull. My lats were sore. They must have grown because I ended up chafing underneath my armpits. Nothing Bodyglide can't fix. After work I jumped on the trainer for a short intense ride with several 1 minute efforts @ greater than VO2 with 30 seconds rest between. My legs were not ready for the shock. I made 5 then spun easy for 5 minutes. I made one more attempt to squeeze in a few more. I finished with only 7. Next time I will get in 10 or more.

I was back at the pool for another 3200 meters of swimming Wednesday. My lats were more sore than Tuesday. The main set was 10x100 on 1:30. Eight was all I had in me. I averaged 1:24s. I will get my speed back in a few weeks. After work, I went to pick up Linkin. I walk into the house and smell poop. He pooped all over his kennel. UGH!!!. I got him cleaned up only to have him poop again in another kennel. After his second bath he slept for almost 2 hours. I wanted to run sooner, but did not want to take the chance of him exploding into another kennel. I went out for a short 35 minute run. I felt good going out until I turned around. It was a nice headwind. I didn't even realize I was running with a tailwind. I threw in several fartlek efforts 30 seconds on and 30 seconds off. I quickly dried the dogs and myself off. My brother was waiting to start p90x. I picked Yoga. I was getting very hungry, so we stopped after 35 minutes. My brother admitted he has a new respect for Yoga.

Thursday, I got on the trainer for another short intense workout. After a short warm-up and two all out 10 second efforts I was into several rounds of 30 seconds very hard + 30 seconds very easy. These things destroy the legs quickly. My goal was to make 10. I missed 2 of them. Next time I will get in 14 or more.

I felt much better in the pool Friday morning. My lats had finally recovered. The main set was 9x100 on 1:35 descend every 3 (1:27-24-20, 1:27-23-19.5, 1:26-23-20). My average speed was better than Wednesday's workout. I finished up with 3.2k. After work, I went out for a short 25 minute easy run. The dogs were excited to get outside. I put in the DVD for p90x (chest, shoulders, triceps, abs). I like the challenge of the workout. I also added 2 plyometric exercises for the legs.

The original forecast for the weekend was partly cloudy. I woke up Saturday morning to wet roads. I got on the trainer for 2 hours of mostly easy riding. I had a few rounds of 5 minutes at Olympic effort with 5 minutes cruise. Sunday was the opposite of Saturday, all sun and no clouds. I had to work, so ran early in the cold for 75 minutes.

It was a good start to the new year!

No comments:

Post a Comment