Tuesday, September 13, 2011

joys of training

Saturday I went out for a 4 hour ride. I was supposed to do 5 repeats with Olympic and 70.3 efforts. I fell short on the first 3. I decided to cruise the rest of the workout because my glute was bothering me. The last hour of riding was hard and slow. I was zapped at the end of the workout.

I went out early for a short 40 minute run Sunday morning. I ran with Chip and his dog, Forest. After a few hours of relaxing, I headed to the lake for 2 miles of open water swimming. No stops, all continuous. I was glad to have a wetsuit on. My face was warm when out of the water, but nice and cool in the water. After a nap, I went out for another 40 minute run. I felt much better even though it was much warmer.

Monday's swim was tough. I didn't feel great. The main set was 2x (3x400 on 6:00 + 4x50 easy on 1:00). It was a struggle. I swam the first one then pulled the next 2. I finished with 3.8k. After work I took the dogs out for an easy 30 minute run. Fina did not want to run. At about the halfway point, she stopped and waited for Kona and me to run 2 minutes out and back.

I swam 3.4k this morning. I wasn't sure how the workout would feel based on the last couple days. It was the best set I have done. The main set was 10x100 on 1:25. I averaged 1:17/1:18. My previous best was earlier this year back in January. I did them on 1:30 and averaged 1:18.5. I felt strong on the entire set. I improved my speed and dropped 5 seconds of rest. After work I headed out for lots of 30" hard intervals. I felt so much better today. I still had a few twinges in my glute. SO FRUSTRATING. I ended up averaging 21.3mph for the workout.

The weekend was filled with lows. Then out of no where I kill a swim set. It seems like the carrot is always dangling out in front and every once in awhile you catch it. The joys of training.

No comments:

Post a Comment