Sunday, November 6, 2011

Cold weekend

I wasn't sure what to yesterday morning about my 5 hour ride. The temperature was low 30s when I woke up. I don't do well on the bike when it is below 40. I contemplated during the workout on the trainer. I dragged my feet until 9AM. The girls were going to ride outside, so I put on as many layers as possible and donned the most important items (Sugoi Firewall bike gloves and Pearl Izumi Amfib tights). It was cold, upped 30s when I finally started. My legs felt heavy and tired. The workout consisted of varying intervals and intensity. I added 15 minutes to the ironman effort to make it work with my first stop. I hit my power numbers on the first round. I stopped at Texaco to eat a Honey Stinger Vanilla Waffle and drink a hot cup of French Vanilla Cappuccino. I decided to do 2 loops of Johnson Creek road because there are minimal stops and very little traffic. I just missed hitting the numbers on round 2. That was all she wrote. I was very hungry so I stopped and wolfed down a Honey Stinger Waffle. For the rest of the ride, I just rode. After 2 loops, I was back at Texaco to eat another Honey Stinger Waffle and Cappuccino. I was lucky to this point about staying dry. As soon as started the last hour, it started to sprinkle. I was glad it was short lived, Ranier to Yelm. Cold is one thing, but cold and rain breaks me. I finished the ride with just over 100 miles. I changed clothes and grabbed Kona for a short 30 minute run. I expected to feel horrible since over half the ride was challenging. Instead, I felt great. I had to tell myself to slow down. My last mile was well below my goal pace. Oops. The run was so effortless. I finished with 4.02 miles. The rest of the evening was spent recovering and eating. I saw TOWER HEIST. It was entertaining.

This morning I woke up to temps in the mid to upper 20s. BRRR!!! I headed to the pool for lots of fast 25s. I felt good in the pool. I averaged 15.5s on all forty. I always feel good after swimming fast 25s. Last set was 400s pull cruise on 5:45. I finished with 3800 meters. After taking a nap, I headed to the track for a few mile repeats at half marathon effort. I put in another solid workout. The effort was the same as last week, the speed was faster. I finished with 7.22 miles in 49 minutes.

Less than 2 weeks til Ironman Arizona.

No comments:

Post a Comment