Friday, April 16, 2010

Where did the winds come from

I still haven't decided which is tougher. Climbing a hill or riding in a headwind. I guess it can always be worse and have a headwind uphill. I have experienced that at few times, not much fun at all.

I had a nice easy swim of 3000 meters on Tuesday. I swam a lot of IM. I went for a bike ride in the afternoon. I am so glad to have a powermeter. The winds were strong. I was only able to manage 18.4mph, but the watts showed that it was a good zone 3-4 workout. I finished up with 6 solo point hill repeats. I alternated sitting and standing. I averaged 15-20 seconds slower and 40 watts less while seated. I definitely prefer standing. My rate of perceived exertion is much lower. I quickly put the bike away and grabbed the dogs for a 30 minute run. The dogs always know when it's time to run.

On Wednesday, I swam with a few of the regulars at the pool. The main set was 3x400s, 3x300s, 3x200s, 3x100s. The pattern was fast for #1, alternate ez/fast for #2, and cruise pull for #3. My pace kept getting faster as the distance increased. Ted got me on the 100 fast. He sandbagged most of the set prior. Once I caught a glimpse of him, it was too late for me to respond. "You win some, you lose some, you live to fight another day." I went to the track for 3 mile repeats. I am amazed at how easy it is to run fast when you start the first 400 conservatively.

Yesterday was sunny and nice. I was going to go for a ride/run, but decided to just enjoy the day off. I don't take many days off and I am still in off-season mode :-)

I did not feel to great during my swim this morning. The main set got progressively harder. The base send off was 1:25 for 100SCM. Aerobically I was ok, but muscularly the lactic acid was accumulating too fast. I threw in a few fast 25s in the cool down. I have physical therapy at noon.

No comments:

Post a Comment