Monday, April 5, 2010

A blast in Monterey

It was a great week in Monterey. I went to the Monterey Aquarium Monday morning. The seahorses and jellyfish exhibits were awesome. I went to the pool and swam 4600 meters. After the swim, Josh and I did a quick mod, 21 minutes. A mod is usually three rounds of several exercises. We went and watched Repo Men afterward. It was movie to watch on DVD not at the theaters. After the movie a few of his buddies dropped by for food and drinks.

Tuesday was a rough day. I had a hangover all day. Food was not very appealing to me. Fina was pooping blood. We tried to take her to the vet, but it was closed. Her energy level was good and she seemed fine. Josh and I swam for an hour. It helped me feel a little better.

Josh and I did a mod early Wednesday morning. I left Monterey that morning. I decided to take my time back. I drove along the coast on 101. It was the first time I got to see the Redwoods up close. The dogs were in heaven. I think Fina thinks she is a boy dog. She lifts a leg to pee. I stopped in Crescent City, California for the night.

The dogs and I slept in Thursday morning. I continued up the coast into Oregon. I stopped and took the dogs for a 3 mile run on the beach. They were in heaven. The sand was a mix of small pebbles and sand. There were spots where the sand sank several inches. My average pace was 10 minute miles. My quads had a nice burn at the end. I even took my shoes off for 5 minutes. I continued north and hung out in Cannon Beach for the night.

It is so much less stressful to drive only a few hours a day. I took the dogs out to the beach before we left Friday morning. I drove to Portland and picked up my race packet at The Athlete's Lounge. I would definitely recommend stopping in to look around. They had a lot of Tri stuff. I decided to stay in Portland since my race was Saturday morning. I went to watch Clash of the Titans in 3D. I was disappointed with the movie. The 1981 version is better.

I drove out to the race site after breakfast. I warmed up and my hamstring was bothering me so I decided not to race. I was really bummed. I grabbed my gear and headed home. Once I got home, I unpacked and jumped on the trainer for 2 1/2 hours.

I decided to test out the hamstring Sunday morning. I went for a run and it felt OK. My pace was a lot slower, but no real issues. I have an appointment Wednesday to see the doctor.

This morning I swam a for almost an hour and fifteen minutes. I did not feel great. It was the first horrible swim I have had in awhile. I chalk it up to the all the mods and swimming I did on my mini vacation. I am looking forward to my next vacation. I will have to make a trip back out to Monterey!

No comments:

Post a Comment