Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Quack Quack

I travelled down near Eugene, Oregon for an Olympic triathlon. I needed a tune-up race to see if I still knew how to race. I also got the chance to meet up with a good friend driving up from Monterey, California.

The morning drive was dry, but short lived. It sprinkled most of the morning. The roads were nice and wet. I was glad I packed extra rain gear. It came in handy during the warm-up.

SWIM - 24:11
I put on my XTERRA VENDETTA a few minutes before the start. The right side of my wetsuit near the calf was flared out, so I cut it off. I didn't want any extra drag. I felt okay on the swim. It was hard to find the buoys because everyone was wearing different caps (the race did not provide caps). At one point I was swimming next to Ross and another point I was next to Karen. It was a 2 loop course. I think if they didn't make us loop all the way back to shore the course may have been dead on for distance. Instead it was long. I came out just behind Ross and Karen. I had trouble getting my wetsuit off because my hands were frozen (water temp 55). Luckily, I have pretty decent transitions and I passed both of them immediately.

BIKE - 1:05.20
I quickly put on my SPIUK helmet and grabbed my green steed, LYNSKEY. The course was rolling for almost all of the race. I could not generate power. My legs had no snap. I was passed by a few strong riders. I later discovered that the guy who won my age group is a CAT 1/2 cyclist. Near the end of the ride I passed 2 guys. I dismounted and racked the bike

RUN - 42:09
I had trouble slipping on my NEWTONS. I could not feel my feet at all. Add the numb feet to a stitch on my right side and it made for a fun run. NOT!!! I was passed my one guy within the first mile and two more after mile 4. I was definitely glad to see the finish line. The run ended up being a little long.

I ended up 11th overall and 2nd in my age group.

After the race, I got a chance to talk to the winner, Jesse Thomas. He won Wildflower Half Ironman a couple weeks prior. He was very cool! If you are interested in a new gluten free bar, check out PICKY BARS. They taste great!!!

Karen, Lisa, Jesse, me

No comments:

Post a Comment